My Core Speciality
Fundamentally, when it comes to specific technology, I’m a generalist rather than a specialist. I’ve worked in so many langauges, using so many tools, on so many platforms, for so many different industries, that my true speciality is in tackling the unfamiliar quickly and confidently.
I’ve never been intimidated by the most arcane or naive “spaghetti code” written by overwhelmed programmers and comfortably dive into the most esoteric and forgotten languages and tools as if they were the hot new thing.
My Current Passion
Performant, Reliable, Maintainable Apps
However, certain kinds of projects have a way of swimming around at the top of mind at any time. Sometimes this is because I’ve had a recent string of work cenetered around a certain technology or industry. Other times it’s because it’s just tickled some intellectual fancy that’s kept me reading and tinkering and thinking about it on my own.
Lately, these have been dominant:
- Mobile Apps and Libraries for iOS, watchOS, tvOS, and Android using Swift, Objective-C, C, C++, Kotlin and Java.
- Desktop Apps, Drivers, and Libraries for macOS using Swift, Objective-C, C, and C++.
- App/Code Generators that produce customized code for white labelling or multi-platform distribution.
- Enterprise Apps that are data-centric and rely on CoreData, SQLite, etc for high volume local storage and also speak to carefully architected backend servers.
- Media Apps that work extensively with audio, photos, or videos, especially using tools like Apple’s AVFoundation, CoreImage, CoreAudio, and CoreAnimation.
My Generalist Foundation
Mobile, Desktop, Systems, Enterprise, and Full-Stack Web
Industries: Consumer Applications, Creative, Education, Games, Health and Fitness, Insurance, Information Security, Non-profit, Music, Real Estate Investment, Retail, Small and Local Business, Travel, Utility Services
Platforms: AIR, Android, Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google AppEngine, Google Firebase, HTML5, iOS, Linux, macOS, Windows
Frameworks / CMS’s: Angular, CakePHP, Django, Drupal, express. Flex, Laravel, Magento, node.js, Pyramid, Rails, Turbogears, Wordpress, Yii
Databases: MongoDB, MySQL, PostgreSQL, sqlite